Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Planning for the 4th of July Weekend

Hello,

Didn't get the chance to work on the Kaholo Stand Up Paddleboard tonight. Arrived home late and we had a visitor.

I will be working in the southwest Michigan boat shop (My Parents' summer place) this weekend so I spent a few minutes planning what items I hope to bring along.

We will be loading 8 people, 2 dogs and everyone's stuff into the minivan for the trip so space will be at a premium. I'm thinking that my plywood will be riding on the roof rack. My sister and her kids are riding with us, my cousin Kyle is riding with us, Mr. Nacho and our neighbors' dog Lulu are coming along too. Lulu is Mr. Nacho's sister, she is owned by our neighbors and they are away. Mr. Nacho and Lulu have been getting in some serious dog on dog playtime since she arrived around 6:00 PM, they will sleep well tonight. Mr. Nacho won't give Lulu a moment of peace.

Back to Kaholo talk. I'm planning to cut out the two forward bottom pieces this weekend and prepare them to be joined to the larger, aft bottom piece.

The Kaholo is about 14' long and plywood comes in 8' sheets. To get to the plywood to the 14' length the two pieces are joined by a scarf joint. This joint is made by using a block plane, see pictures 1 and 2 below, to cut "ramps" into the ends of the pieces to be joined. The joint should be 8 times longer than the thickness of the wood. For this application I will cut the "ramps" about 1" wide.

1.

2.


The wood is then joined by thickened epoxy glue. Once joined, the panels will be the correct length and will bend properly and assume the correct shape.

I will also be creating the blanks for the side panels this weekend. These pieces will also be scarfed together.

The fabric I ordered as decoration for the Kaholo arrived via UPS today. A picture is below. My plan is to cut the fabric into some cool shape(s) that will be applied to the Kaholo under the fiberglass cloth. I'm open to shape ideas if you have them. Most people apply the fabric to the forward end of the board in a shape that follows the shape of the board. Some put the fabric at the aft end too. This is a totally optional step, but I think it will trick out the board nicely.



The fabric is blue, purple, green and yellow batik fabric. The pattern contains kelp and sea turtles. I found it online from a place in California.

That's all I wanted to share tonight. Have a great Independence Day Holiday!

Okoume Jeff

1 comment:

  1. hey there okoume Jeff

    I'm up the road a bit from you in Stoughton WI., just south of Madison. Also a Jeff. We should hook up sometime and paddle together once the SUPs are done! Also I just hit the CLC site and they are doing a demo day at Rutabaga, a fabulous paddlesports shop in Madison right on a lake. I think it would be pretty cool to show up at the demo paddling in on a pair of Kaholos.

    Now I just need to get mine done in time!
    Slainte
    Jeff Bach

    ReplyDelete